Monday, October 22, 2012

Paint Sample Wipe-off Calendar

I wanted a dry erase calendar to hang in our kitchen to keep track of family events, holidays, birthdays, etc, but I didn't want a tacky home-office looking one from the office supply store. What is a girl to do? Make her own!

Materials:
  • 11x14 canvas (I reused one that my son used for finger painting. I know, bad mommy! It wasn't a masterpiece or anything.)
  • paint samples from the home improvement store (FREE!)
  • frame that will hold your canvas (The canvas I used was about 1/4 inch thick.)
  • dry erase marker
  • glue stick
  • square puncher, paper cutter, or just plain old scissors (if you can cut straight)
  • paint (I used a little leftover paint from the kitchen wall color.)

Paint your canvas the background color of your choosing. Let dry. 

Punch out 35, 1.5 inch squares with a square puncher. Or, you can use a paper trimmer or scissors to do this. 

Once the paint is dry, lay out your squares in the pattern that you like. I tried a few different ways before settling on this layout (colors aligned along the diagonal). Just play around with it and see what is pleasing to your eye. You can use just a couple of paint sample colors, or you can use a bunch. I ended up using 7 different colors in the color scheme of my kitchen. 

Adhere the squares with glue. 

It looks plan now, but once you put it in a frame behind glass and use your marker on it, it'll come to life. 


I could see also using this for...
  • a child's responsibility chart
  • lesson planning for homeschooling families
  • a weekly calendar with each family member having a different row
  • posting daily/weekly objectives for classroom students


How could you adapt this idea to fit your organizational needs? Leave me a comment below!


3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I think I might try it with scrapbook paper in neutral tones. Also, this would be a great way to have separate lists for each member of the family, like to-do lists, using long strips of paper lined next to each other diagonally. Thanks for the inspiration! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of using scrapbooking paper, but I didn't have any on hand in the color/patterns that I needed. I did, however, have TONS of paint samples. Can't wait to see what you come up with, Emily!

      Delete